Yesterday, I was given an important DIY project from my wife. We have recently learned that all plastics regardless of their number or even the ‘BPA FREE’ moniker still have varying degrees of toxicity!
Our baby bottles, spray bottles, water bottles, and cups needed to go bye-bye. So, my task was to make a glass spray bottle for Logan’s wipe solution as we are going paperless for his wipes, deeper and deeper green. Here’s a short list of supplies and tools: glass jar with a lid, spray bottle, hammer, utility knife or equivalent, and a punch.
For me, the hardest part of this project was finding the right size glass container. It had to be comfortable to hold in the hand which excludes most jars found in the cupboard. My mother-in-law is a huge recycler and keeps lots of different sizes of glass jars. Digging through her stash, I found the perfect specimen, a specialty strawberry jam jar! She had even already removed the labels, score!
Now, I should admit that, some plastic is necessary for this as I haven’t found a safe glass spray nozzle though I bet someone makes a fully stainless steel one. I just haven’t come across this yet. I used a cheap one dollar spray bottle for the moving parts and measured the screw cap diameter. In my case, I found that the safety bubble on my glass jar was just the right size and made it easy for me to draw my cut line. I recommend drawing a line even if you luck out like I did because cutting can warp the metal a bit.
There are many methods for cutting a lid, but I used a punch and a hammer as I prefer a lot of control because my materials were very limited and I had little room for error. Each punch was about as close to the last as I could make them. I was only using enough pressure to break through. Make sure you use a scrap piece of wood to brace against so you don’t damage your table or workbench.
Once I had my holes punched, I used an old Swiss army knife to cut along the dotted line and a file to smooth the jagged edges. Next, I needed the male screw part cut away from the water bottle. I used a Dremmel tool for this but an Exacto knife or utility knife should be sufficient. I cleaned up my cut edges with a knife and screwed it into the jar lid. Once the spray top is screwed on tight this project is done.
I filled it with water and sprayed my wife to prove it worked (this last part is not recommended).
|Here is the finished product.|